Banro Says Namoya Mine Operations Resumed in East Congo

Banro, a Canadian gold mining company, said pre-market Thursday that following precautionary measures taken to evacuate staff from the Namoya mine on a temporary basis, which were previously reported, staff have now returned to Namoya and mining operations have resumed in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo . “We would like to thank the hard work and diligence of all of our staff in supporting this turnaround at the Namoya mine. We would also like to thank the support we received from both the national and regional governments of the DRC,” CEO Dr. John Clarke said in a statement. “This support has been instrumental in the safe return of our employees and contractors to site, and the safety of the supply truck convoy that was originally stranded in Lulimba and has now been released,” he added. Banro is focused on production from the Twangiza mine, which began commercial production 2012, and on production at its second gold mine at Namoya, where commercial production was declared effective in 2016.

Leave a Comment